Monday, February 14, 2011

sand love catharsis


"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." Kahlil Gibran

The theme for Momobutoh Company's practice is 'Love and Family' this month and so today I felt inspired to dance with the heaviness of care-taking for my dad...

As my dad approaches his end-of-life, he has become more and more loving and open-hearted. As his body and mind close down and degenerate, his heart continues to open outward to his family in an expansive way. As a result, our hearts are opening more and more to him, as well - it is a beautiful exchange.

The burden is a result of all the the challenges there are in trying to manage his house and his care-givers while at the same time, trying to stay strong and be the pillar that is able to take care of his increased personal-care needs. It feels like during much of the last few years I have been emotionally drained by this responsibility and I continue to quest for ways in-which to nourish the feeling of depletion in my spirit.

My dance practice as taught by Momo has been very cathartic... a way to embody that which is being experienced from the depths...

Coming out onto the beach on this cold, blustery day I was drawn to do a spontaneous dance with a large branch whose heaviness felt like a good analogy for the burden I have been feeling... and yet, it was light enough to maneuver, to trace patterns in the sand (including a heart around my beloved :~)... The dance of embodiment of burden resulted in a feeling of release and increased lightness of spirit as the dance continued.

Dancing on sand is also one of my favorite practices as I love how it is so forgiving and always invites a playful freedom of movement... and a baring of the feet :~) Feeling grateful to connect more deeply to the grounding presence of Mama Earth during this practice.

Also feeling grateful to share my dance practices with you all here, and to you, Momo, for inspiring our connection and practices....
Music: Deuter
Filmed by Brooke (my beloved :~)

2 comments:

  1. Tumbling, Purifying, Struggling, Letting Go, Casting off, Letting Flow, Offering Up, Surrender, Pleading, ….all this and more I see….and then the tiny sand fragments of the heart in your hands ride away on the waves of wind and surf….as your prayers and dreams travel out into the vast space of us ALL. ALL moving with you….we are fa11ing with you….we are a11 together…fa11ing in this LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see you release those feet! You are in this moment, and this moment, and this moment, free!

    ReplyDelete